To upgrade the performance on any turbo powered car, you need “breating” upgrades. The car needs to inhale better (intake modifications), but also exhale better (exhaust modifications).
The most important component in the exhale process is the downpipe, the first pipe after the turbo. Upgrading this to a larger diameter, will allow for quicker turbo spool, which helps in scavenging but also in building boost.
As a pleasant side effect, the exhaust note will also be more throaty! The S80 has very limited options on paper, but I was able to buy and fit this with help from J&D Auto Onderdelen, who helped me tremendously in the pre-sales process (making sure that everything would fit). I can highly recommend them!
It’s a quite expensive upgrade, but well worth it.
It’s highly recommended to get some new nuts for securing the downpipe.
Old vs new, look into the differences in the diameter of the neck.
Made some flyby shots of Sander’s Seat Leon 1M 1.8T 20VT with Stage 1 tune (240BHP 380Nm). The car is stripped and equipped with some good supporting mods like a 3″ stainless downpipe + stainless catback and lightweight OZ Ultraleggeras with Nankang NS2R Semi Slicks.
Film was shot during a meeting from forum Seat-Online.nl , which was held on 26-05-2019
Sander’s Instagram > https://www.instagram.com/leon_20vt/
- Stage 1 Tuned
- K03S Turbo
- 3″ Inch Downpipe
- 2.5″ Custom Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust by NM Parts
- SFS Big Bore Turbo Intake Pipe
- Forge DV
- OZ Ultraleggera lightweight wheels
- Nankang NS2R SEMI SLICKS
- Stripped Car Trackday Tool
- Cupra R Trim
Location: Flight Forum Eindhoven
Scored a uprated exhaust manifold, which is stock on newer turbo models. It has better runners and collector.
It should give some extra performance and also has a lower thermal load, which should reduce the strain on the turbo and exhaust.
Made in Japan
Volvo Partnr: 30637921
Replaced the air filter and the turbo intake pipe.
The intake pipe was upgraded to a blue Do88.se / Do88 silicone intake pipe, which is a fair bit larger, but also deletes some bottlenecks from the original part (like the narrowing bend on the bottom and the “harmonica”).
Gives a little bit more power from the butt dyno and noticed more intake growl (which is a good thing) 🙂
- DeWalt DCF899 impact wrench VS stubborn Volvo S80 Crank Pulley Nut VS Parkside PASSK 20-Li A1
- Mini Cooper S R53 JCW – New Downstream O2 Sensor
- Mini Cooper S R53 JCW – Injector Service
- Mini Cooper S R53 JCW – Servicing the Eaton M45 supercharger
- Mini Cooper S R53 JCW – Sitting in the driveway
- Mini Cooper S R53 JCW – Airbox Intake Modification
- Mini Cooper S R53 JCW – Vacuum Gain System VGS Modification