Tag: engine

Volvo S80 2.4T Changing Spark Plugs (NGK K20TT 4604)

Fitted some fresh new plugs and decided to try NGK copper plug instead of Volvo OEM Iridium plugs. They work great and cost next to nothing. Decided to try NGK K20TT 4606. Double checked the gap to be sure, they are correctly preset for the Volvo S80 2.4 / 2.5T.

Still have to get used to swapping out 5 spark plugs instead of the “usual” 4.

Volvo S80 2.4T Changing Spark plugs

Volvo S80 2.4T Changing Spark plugs

Volvo S80 2.4T Changing Spark plugs




Volvo S80 2.4T IPD Polybush Upper Engine Stabilizer

Cheap and easy mod for a little bit more stability, polybush inserts for the upper engine stabilizer.

Volvo S80 2.4T Polyurethane Upper Engine Stabilizer




Volvo S80 2.4T Replacing the Upper Engine Mount with SuperPro Polybush

I noticed that when lifting off (like shifting), there was a lot of movement / play in the engine / gearbox. So when I inspected the upper engine mount, I found the root cause rather quickly. The rubber deteriorated and there wasn’t much left of the original rubber bushing.

Having read the other options, like fitting a polybush, I went with the SuperPro version which looked like a good bit of kit. Mounting the new polyurethane kit was quite a breeze. Fortunately, the original bushing has a plastic ring 🙂 The SuperPro kit consists of 2 pieces, which makes the mount very easy to replace.

Result: a much better shifting car, putting the power down goes a lot better now. I will also replace the bottom gearbox mount with a polyurethane version soon.

Very easy job to do at home. This also applies to the S60 and V70, as these are quite identical.

Broken upper engine mount…

Volvo S80 2.4T worn engine mount

Tearing it down

Volvo S80 2.4T Removing the Upper Engine Mount OEM bushing

Volvo S80 2.4T Upper Engine Mount shot OEM bush

Comparing old to new

Volvo S80 2.4T Polyurethane Upper Engine Mount vs OEM top view

Volvo S80 2.4T Polyurethane Upper Engine Mount vs OEM side view

Et voila!

Volvo S80 2.4T Polyurethane Upper Engine Mount completed