I noticed that when lifting off (like shifting), there was a lot of movement / play in the engine / gearbox. So when I inspected the upper engine mount, I found the root cause rather quickly. The rubber deteriorated and there wasn’t much left of the original rubber bushing.
Having read the other options, like fitting a polybush, I went with the SuperPro version which looked like a good bit of kit. Mounting the new polyurethane kit was quite a breeze. Fortunately, the original bushing has a plastic ring 🙂 The SuperPro kit consists of 2 pieces, which makes the mount very easy to replace.
Result: a much better shifting car, putting the power down goes a lot better now. I will also replace the bottom gearbox mount with a polyurethane version soon.
Very easy job to do at home. This also applies to the S60 and V70, as these are quite identical.
Broken upper engine mount…
Tearing it down
Comparing old to new
The Golf MK3 GTI showed some big signs of rust, which jeopardized my APK (MOT) status for this year. Simply put, I had 2 choices,
- Invest quite some money in the Golf MK3 GTI for solving the rust issues and keep driving
- Swap/sell it straightaway and drive something else
I have chosen for the latter as the title already suggests. But what is a proper replacement for the Golf MK3 GTI which also falls into budget? Needles to say, I needed a wishlist to get to some conclusion…I ended up with this:
- More than 4 cilinders
- More power than the GTI
- No VAG car
- More luxury than the GTI
- Bigger than the GTI
- Optional: automatic gearbox
I ended up with a Volvo S80 from 2001 with a 5 cilinder (2.4 liters) turbocharged engine. It ticks all the boxes, except for my optional item (#6), as it has stick shift. It isn’t bad, but a automatic gearbox would complement the car even more. Let the pictures speak for itself!
- Daan: Succes man!
- Andy Ramdin: Hi Cor, mooi om te horen. Ik denk dat je even het boardje zelf moet inspecteren voor...
- Cor: ik heb het zelfde probleem ook gehad, en je tips werkte fantastisch. hij heeft weer jaren...
- Andy Ramdin: Top, mooi dat er weer iemand zn wasmachine heeft kunnen redden (en veel geld heeft...
- Kevin: Gisteren aan de slag geweest met mijn widl126 was/droog combi. Werkte fantastisch!...
- Arnold de Heer: Elco’s zijn plat/ok
- Arnold de Heer: Ik heb het inmiddels kunnen vinden.. Is binair, dus lampje 1 knippert is code 1,...