Fitted some fresh new plugs and decided to try NGK copper plug instead of Volvo OEM Iridium plugs. They work great and cost next to nothing. Decided to try NGK K20TT 4606. Double checked the gap to be sure, they are correctly preset for the Volvo S80 2.4 / 2.5T.
Still have to get used to swapping out 5 spark plugs instead of the “usual” 4.
I noticed that when lifting off (like shifting), there was a lot of movement / play in the engine / gearbox. So when I inspected the upper engine mount, I found the root cause rather quickly. The rubber deteriorated and there wasn’t much left of the original rubber bushing.
Having read the other options, like fitting a polybush, I went with the SuperPro version which looked like a good bit of kit. Mounting the new polyurethane kit was quite a breeze. Fortunately, the original bushing has a plastic ring 🙂 The SuperPro kit consists of 2 pieces, which makes the mount very easy to replace.
Result: a much better shifting car, putting the power down goes a lot better now. I will also replace the bottom gearbox mount with a polyurethane version soon.
Very easy job to do at home. This also applies to the S60 and V70, as these are quite identical.
Broken upper engine mount…
Tearing it down
Comparing old to new
The Golf MK3 GTI showed some big signs of rust, which jeopardized my APK (MOT) status for this year. Simply put, I had 2 choices,
- Invest quite some money in the Golf MK3 GTI for solving the rust issues and keep driving
- Swap/sell it straightaway and drive something else
I have chosen for the latter as the title already suggests. But what is a proper replacement for the Golf MK3 GTI which also falls into budget? Needles to say, I needed a wishlist to get to some conclusion…I ended up with this:
- More than 4 cilinders
- More power than the GTI
- No VAG car
- More luxury than the GTI
- Bigger than the GTI
- Optional: automatic gearbox
I ended up with a Volvo S80 from 2001 with a 5 cilinder (2.4 liters) turbocharged engine. It ticks all the boxes, except for my optional item (#6), as it has stick shift. It isn’t bad, but a automatic gearbox would complement the car even more. Let the pictures speak for itself!
- Seat Leon 1M 1.8T 20VT 240BHP 380Nm – Seat Online Brabomeeting 26-05-2019
- NASCAR Whelen Euro Series Raceway Venray 07/14/2019
- Seat Leon 1M 1.8T 20VT Cupra 340BHP 460Nm – Seat Online Brabomeeting 26-05-2019
- Volvo S80 2.4T – Seat Online Brabomeeting 26-05-2019
- Volvo S80 2.4T Old Key to Flip Key
- Volvo S80 2.4T – Me & My 19 inch Passengers
- Volvo S80 2.4T Replacing the Car Battery
- Andy Ramdin: Hahaha mooi om te horen! Die van ons draait ook nog steeds na al die jaren (na deze...
- Mjose Timmermans: Hey Andy, Hoe geweldig. Wij wonen vlakbij Waalwijk. Hup naar Boris...
- Andy Ramdin: Very hard to say, as sound is quite personal. It droned a bit, but wasnt too bad as...
- Peter Tong: hi, i was wondering if it drones on the freeway/highway at all? how quiet is it? can...
- Andy Ramdin: Hi Pieter, Op de tweede foto zie je 3 zwarte torentjes, dit zijn de condensatoren...
- pieter: Welke onderdeeltjes moet ik nu kopen? Blijft onduidelijk, thx!!
- Andy Ramdin: Hahah erg mooi om te lezen dat mn artikel nog steeds mensen helpt met een flinke...