When I last performed maintenance to the window sliders, I noticed the doors had not been soundproofed yet. Bought me a big mat on Aliexpress and went to work today.
Door card removal is very easy on the Volvo, so I was done in a very small time frame, which is always nice. The impact of such a simple thing like soundproofing is always noticeable, as the resonance from the tinny doors are removed, which allows for better sounding music + less cabin sound/drone.
Highly recommended & easy to do yourself!
When I bought the S80, it was evident that the plastic trim had seen better days. So I decided to spend some time and repaint it black. As expected, it transformed the car tremendously. I highly recommend this!
A highly recommended repair / modification for all older Volvo owners. Replacing the old rubber vacuum lines with strong durable silicone hoses. I bought 3 color hoses (red / black/ blue) as the original hoses also have color stamps on them. Old rubber hoses deteriorate from heat and moisture and will fail over time. Replacing them with silicone hoses ensures a proper running car!
I was missing the option to play my own music using a iPod Classic interface, so decided to convert my HU-801 Volvo headunit to my trusty Pioneer 1DIN / Single DIN using a fascia plate and some converter cables.
I like the original look better, but the functionality of the Pioneer outweighs the look a couple of times, which makes it a no-brainer for me.
Upgraded the rear with a trunk spoiler (stick-on type) and it looks quite OEM, which I am very pleased with. Doubt it will give me any extra noticeable downforce, but it looks the parts 🙂
As the car has already passed thr 300.000km mark, it’s time for renewing key components, like the Mass Airflow Meter (MAF). Decided to go OEM and opted for a Bosch one.
Restored some low down power, which is good news. Highly recommended!
Partnr: 0 280 218 088 / 0280218088
New vs Old
To modernize the car and make it more future proof, I decided the replace as much halogen bulbs with LEDs. I didn’t want the 6500k Blueish tint, but instead opted for a warmer white color, which are a little bit more white than their halogen counterparts. Very happy with the end result!
Upgrading the rear light dome cluster
Halogen vs LED
Warm white Festoon LEDs
Unhooking the tab
End result for the rear light cluster
As the stock grill is quite dull, it also looks dated. I wanted to upgrade the looks and decided to test a carbon 4D wrap, as the facelift grille does not transfer to the older model. It was quite tedious, but it worked out perfectly! Like the way it looks now 🙂
I noticed that when lifting off (like shifting), there was a lot of movement / play in the engine / gearbox. So when I inspected the upper engine mount, I found the root cause rather quickly. The rubber deteriorated and there wasn’t much left of the original rubber bushing.
Having read the other options, like fitting a polybush, I went with the SuperPro version which looked like a good bit of kit. Mounting the new polyurethane kit was quite a breeze. Fortunately, the original bushing has a plastic ring 🙂 The SuperPro kit consists of 2 pieces, which makes the mount very easy to replace.
Result: a much better shifting car, putting the power down goes a lot better now. I will also replace the bottom gearbox mount with a polyurethane version soon.
Very easy job to do at home. This also applies to the S60 and V70, as these are quite identical.
Broken upper engine mount…
Tearing it down
Comparing old to new
Small modification, getting rid of the fried egg look and replacing them with Chrome / Amber versions does the front of the S80 good. Cost a small amount and looks much cleaner.
- Seat Leon 1M 1.8T 20VT 240BHP 380Nm – Seat Online Brabomeeting 26-05-2019
- NASCAR Whelen Euro Series Raceway Venray 07/14/2019
- Seat Leon 1M 1.8T 20VT Cupra 340BHP 460Nm – Seat Online Brabomeeting 26-05-2019
- Volvo S80 2.4T – Seat Online Brabomeeting 26-05-2019
- Volvo S80 2.4T Old Key to Flip Key
- Volvo S80 2.4T – Me & My 19 inch Passengers
- Volvo S80 2.4T Replacing the Car Battery
- Andy Ramdin: Hahah erg mooi om te lezen dat mn artikel nog steeds mensen helpt met een flinke...
- Mich: Geniaal. Ook in 2019 werkt deze oplossing! Printplaat gedemonteerd, naar elektronica...
- Andy Ramdin: Mooi dat er weer een machine is gered door een simpele oplossing. Veel schone wasjes...
- Papo: Zo vandaag alles open gemaakt, los/vast gesoldeerd en viola wasmachine doet het weer als...
- Daan: Succes man!
- Andy Ramdin: Hi Cor, mooi om te horen. Ik denk dat je even het boardje zelf moet inspecteren voor...
- Cor: ik heb het zelfde probleem ook gehad, en je tips werkte fantastisch. hij heeft weer jaren...